Family members who are living outside of the UK after 31 December 2020 can join a European family member in the UK, but they will need to apply for permission to enter the UK before doing so. Once inside the UK, they must apply for pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

To allow EU citizens access to the United Kingdom for work and study, and to provide certainty and stability to their families, the government has been working hard behind the scenes to deal with the problems of migration. The first step was a visa system that would allow EU citizens the right to remain in the UK to bring family members with them.

In the United Kingdom, it is extremely difficult for someone with only a limited amount of time to apply for immigration status.

Your Settled Status

For those who are unsure where they will qualify for immigrant status and for those who do not qualify for immigration status, the best bet is to apply for a Settled Status. There are certain requirements that must be met in order to apply for settled status. In order to apply for settled status, the applicant must be a citizen of the United Kingdom and have at least one year of steady work. The period of steady work must be continuous for one year or more. In addition, the worker must be a British citizen aged eighteen or over who has the ability to find and hire employees.

Bring your family to live in the United Kingdom

In case you’re an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen living within the UK, certain members of your family can apply to come and live within the UK. Your relatives can do this for pre-settled or settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme if you meet one of the two requirements below:

  • you have pre-settled or settled status
  • your relationship with your family member started by 31 December 2020 – unless you’re a Swiss citizen

If one of your family members is a child whose date of birth is registered after 30 December 2020, you can apply for them to live in the UK.

Instead, it would be good for you to know that you cannot use the EU Settlement Scheme to bring your family to the UK if you came to the UK with a visa after 31 December 2020. Therefore, the most appropriate would be to check if your visa allows you to do so.

Before your family member comes to the UK

Make sure of a few things before your relatives come to the UK:

  1. Check if is possible for them to apply for coming to the UK 👉 this depends on their relationship with you
  2. Check if is necessary for them to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before they arrive 👉 this depends on their citizenship and immigration status

* Please, make sure your family member doesn’t come to the UK as a visitor – they’ll have to leave and apply to the scheme from outside the UK.

Rely on us when it comes to bringing your family to the UK

There are many documents to apply for bringing a family member to the UK based on your established status. Depending on how they are related to you, your family members are divided in categories like:

  1. Children under/ over the age of 21 years
  2. Husband, wives, and civil partners
  3. Long-term partners
  4. Parents and grandparents
  5. Brothers, sisters, and other family members

Then, you should know if they have or do not have a residence card, which means different procedures application. If your family members want to apply on their own, they need to know the application number you got when you applied for pre-settled or settled status.

If you feel you need to consult a specialist before start applying, please contact us and we will help you to bring your beloved ones to the UK. Or simply fill in the following form HERE.

👉 See detailed info about British Settled Status on the government page right HERE.

en_GBEnglish (UK)